Saturday, January 27, 2007

too much cow bell


bdaynook1_27
Originally uploaded by a me.
I made some more progress on this painting. So much time passes for just this one of the many things I'd like to do. Ah well. We do what we can. I'm finding it's more difficult for me to paint people I know. I spend more time considering if something is good enough, or correct enough. I think about how my mom has certain feelings about her nose which I don't want to exacerbate by painting her nose a certain way. I don't want my cousin to dislike the depiction of herself in my painting... But really, I don't want to paint to replicate what someone looks like, I do want to capture a mood or a feeling, but that doesn't necessarily require a perfect (um, excruciating attempt at) likeness. So, these concerns I have are pushing away how I'd really like to paint. I think maybe that's what gives the "ladies" picture the life it has - I don't know these ladies personally, so I'm not concerned about their feelings about how I'm making them look. I am also learning how much an overly defined eyebrow can look really freaky.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Amy.... wow.... how good your painting is.... I wish I had your talent. Keep it up. :)

amy said...

Hi Laura! I hope you don't yet dislike my depiction of you as your young self holding an infamous monkey! I really need to get back to that one. :-)